HRM 531 Final Exam Study Guide Version 3
HRM 531 Final Exam Study Guide Version 3
1) Distrust, disrespect, and animosity pertain to which component of indirect costs associated with mismanaged organizational stress?
A. Quality of work relations
B. Participation and membership
C. Performance on the job
D. Communication breakdowns
2) Inventory shrinkages and accidents pertain to which component of direct costs associated with mismanaged organizational stress?
A. Employee conflict
B. Performance on the job
C. Loss of vitality
D. Communication breakdowns
3) Thousands of equal-pay lawsuits have been filed, predominantly by ___________ since the Equal Pay Act of 1963 was passed.
B. African Americans
C. the elderly
D. Americans with disabilities
4) What term refers to those actions appropriate to overcome the effects of past or present policies, practices, or other barriers to equal employment opportunity?
D. Affirmative action
5) In the employment context, _______________ can be viewed broadly as giving an unfair advantage or disadvantage to the members of a particular group in comparison with the members of other groups.
C. seniority system
D. race norming
6) Distributive justice focuses on the fairness of the _____ of decisions.
7) Which of the following observations is correct?
A. Diversity is problem focused, and affirmative action is opportunity focused.
B. Diversity is government initiated, and affirmative action is voluntary.
C. Diversity is proactive, and affirmative action is reactive.
D. Diversity is quantitative, and affirmative action is qualitative.
8) Which of the following would you associate with managing diversity?
A. Government initiated
B. Assumes integration
C. Internally focused
9) “To be the world’s best quick-service restaurant” is an example of what?
A. Organizational charter
B. Standard operating procedure
C. Code of ethics
D. Vision statement
10) _________ is a job analysis method that lists tasks or behaviors and involves workers rating each task or behavior in terms of whether or not it is performed. If the task is performed, workers also rate the frequency, importance, level of difficulty, and relationship to overall performance.
A. Job performance
B. Structured questionnaires
D. Critical incidents
11) Recruitment begins by specifying _____, which are the typical results of job analysis and workforce planning activities.
A. human resource requirements
B. strategic imperatives
C. succession plans
D. affirmative action candidates
12) The step following recruitment is _____, which is basically a rapid, rough selection process.
A. an orientation
B. an initial screening
C. a suspension
D. a workforce plan
13) During the _____ stage, it is most important to select the managers who can develop stable management systems to preserve the gains achieved during the embryonic stage.
14) Increasing an individual’s employability outside the company simultaneously increases his or her job security and desire to stay with the current employer. What is this known as?
A. Training paradox
B. Pygmalion effect
C. Distributed practice
D. Massed practice
15) Which is a characteristic of the most effective training practices?
A. Training starts at the bottom of the organization.
B. Training is part of the corporate culture.
C. Training is evaluated by checking participant reactions.
D. Little time is spent assessing training needs.
16) Which analysis is helpful in determining the special needs of a particular group, such as older workers, women, or managers at different levels?
17) Providing adequate resources to get a job done right and on time, and paying careful attention to selecting employees, are parts of
A. employee welfare
B. grievance management
C. performance appraisal
D. performance facilitation
18) This can be thought of as a compass that indicates a person’s actual direction as well as a person’s desired direction.
A. Management by objectives
B. Forced distribution
C. Central tendency
D. Performance management
19) What would you call a meeting that is typically done once a year to identify and discuss job-relevant strengths and weaknesses of individuals or work teams?
A. performance appraisal
B. performance facilitation
C. performance encouragement
D. performance standard
20) When managing careers, what should organizations do?
A. Plan for shorter employment relationships.
B. Focus primarily on employee needs and aspirations.
C. Allow employees to structure work assignments.
D. Focus on and recognize career stages that employees go through.
21) A sequence of positions occupied by a person during the course of a lifetime is characteristic of what type of career?
22) In the new world of career management, the primary goal is to provide which of the following for employees?
A. Rising aspirations
B. Executive ranking
C. Psychological success
D. Time off when they need it
23) At a broad level, _____ includes anything an employee values and desires that an employer is able and willing to offer in exchange for employee contributions.
A. a competency-based pay system
B. an employee stock ownership plan
C. an organizational reward system
D. a merit-pay method
24) This benefit, tied mostly to profitability and promising better job security, but not guaranteeing it, is at the center of the evolving bonus system.
A. Contribution-based pay
B. Competency-based pay
C. Skill-based pay
D. Flexible pay
25) Financial rewards include direct payments plus indirect payments in the form of what?
A. Individual equity
B. Corporate compensation
C. Spot awards
D. Employee benefits
26) Which law offers full coverage for retirees, dependent survivors, and disabled persons insured by 40 quarters of payroll taxes on their past earnings or earnings of heads of households?
A. Federal Unemployment Tax Act
B. Social Security Act
C. Workers’ compensation
D. Employee Retirement Income Security Act
27) Plans are known as _____ when the employees share in the cost of the premiums.
D. peer participating
28) Which type of justice refers to the quality of interpersonal treatment that employees receive in their everyday work?
29) Procedural justice affects citizenship behaviors by influencing employees’ perceptions of _____, the extent to which the organization values employees’ general contributions and cares for their well being.
A. due process
B. management accessibility
C. indirect compensation
D. organizational support
30) When companies discover they can communicate better with their customers through employees who are similar to their customers, those companies then realize they have increased their _____ diversity.
31) __________ systems are characterized by elegance, accessibility, correctness, and responsiveness
D. Employee voice.
32) According to _____, discipline should be immediate, consistent, and impersonal.
A. distributive justice
B. the social learning theory
C. the red-hot-stove rule
D. due process
33) From the company’s perspective, it is important to recognize that employment agreements are governed by:
A. federal law.
B. no-compete agreements.
B. union contracts.
D. state law.
34) In the case of _____, disclosure of fraud, waste, and abuse can lead to substantial financial gains by whistle-blowers.
A. corporate executives
B. federal contractors
C. government employees
D. union members
Related Study Guides
HRM 531 Week 4 Individual Assignment: Career Development Plan Part III—Performance and Career Management
HRM 531 Week 4 Individual Assignment: Career Development Plan Part III—Performance and Career Management HRM ...read more
HRM 531 Week 5 Individual Study Guide Career Development Plan Part IV—Compensation
HRM 531 Week 5 Individual Study Guide Career Development Plan Part IV—Compensation HRM 531 Week ...read more
HRM 531 Week 1 Individual Assignment InterClean Merger Memo
HRM 531 Week 1 Individual Assignment InterClean Merger Memo HRM 531 Week 1 Individual Assignment ...read more
HRM 531 Week 3 Individual Assignment: Career Development Plan Part II—Development of a Training and Mentoring Program
HRM 531 Week 3 Individual Assignment: Career Development Plan Part II—Development of a Training and ...read more